I use affiliate links occasionally, to provide you with the products that support my recommendations and product “loves”! With no cost to you, I may receive a small commission. Hugs!
What are you signing up for?
What the heck is a Brazilian wax? Well, here it is Belle’s! The nitty-gritty of the Brazilian wax! Some brave it, some fear it…I’m here to tell you, after doing this for over 17 years, there’s nothing to be afraid of! Is it fun? Not so much, but completely tolerable! I am going to give you the low down on what “it” is and how to prepare for this new adventure, or to help you get through a “do over” if you’ve had a less than stellar past experience!
What hair is being removed.
My definition of a Brazilian wax is “removing the pubic hair from end to end…meaning from the top of the pelvic, to the tailbone and everything in between”. There’s several variations and options from leaving a “landing strip”, to special designs, coloring, “bedazzling”, etc…Just ask your therapist. Listen when I say this my lovelies “IT IS FOR ALL SHAPES, SIZES, ETHNICITY, HAIR TYPE”!! Come one, come all!
I do feel compelled to say…not ALL therapists/salons wax male genitalia. You have to check with each individual therapist. The following explanation’s and suggestions apply to all!
What you need to do!
The image above shows where the service(s) take place in my salon. (Totally not a “red room”, totally not scary.) Completely professional, sanitary, warm, and relaxing environment. So here we go…here’s what you do to prepare…you show up! No, but really, there’s not much!
- Allow the hair to grow to 1/4″. This usually equates to approx 3-4 weeks of growth. If your hair has been growing for longer than this, that’s ok! I ask my guests to allow me to trim for them, if needed, but if going elsewhere, ask what their protocol is.
- No tanning, or sunbathing 24 hours BEFORE or AFTER waxing service. Some push this limit and it will definitely bite you! (Blisters, burn, red, raw, lots of ugliness.) Please do not show up red or “freshly tanned”. Please don’t try and push it and go tanning right after!
- Oral acne antibiotics have to be discontinued for 3-4 weeks prior to waxing. The medication Accutane needs to be discontinued for 6 months (in my salon) some allow sooner.
- It’s advisable, but not required to exfoliate the area the day before with a loofah, exfoliating mitt or cloth (my fave) or a type of scrub (salt, sugar, coffee, etc). Check out my store to purchase refreshing, professional products!
- Last but not least, go get it done!!
- Ok, now that you’ve received the service, what’s the upkeep, and care? Well, you have the service repeated every 4-6 weeks (of course, this is a general time frame…everyone’s different, so ask your therapist what their recommendation is. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT SHAVE IN BETWEEN SERVICE APPOINTMENTS. THIS WILL COMPLETELY MESS UP THE HAIR GROWTH AND TEXTURE. Do yourself a favor and put the razor down!! Or actually, throw it away!! WHY you ask…here’s why:
- When you wax, your hair is pulled out by the root. This causes the body to have to go to a lot of work to repair and grow that hair again, (more science then that, but I won’t bore you with me geeking out about it) resulting in compromising the growth pattern and the hair growing back thinner and finer. If you shave, that blunt cut allows the hair to keep growing back thicker and stronger. Shaving is like adding “miracle-grow” to your plants!!
- In-grown hairs…UGH!!! These are a nightmare after shaving for most “bikini” areas!! If I’m speaking your language, then listen up. MOST of the time, waxing minimizes or eliminates this pesky problem!! Notice I said “MOST” of the time? Like anything, it’s not a one size fits all and sometimes individuals still have a hard time with in-growns. There are some great products that help!! I have a couple options in my store!
- It is very important to continue exfoliating the area 3 times a week and apply an ingrown solution if that is needed for your care.
Now you know what a Brazilian wax is, what is required to have the service, upkeep and self care.
Now schedule with a licensed therapist and DO IT!
Selena Shepherd is an Esthetician, Cosmetologist, Instructor, Salon owner and Blogger. With over 17 years in the beauty and salon industry, she is an industry leader with a flare for the field and life! Crazy busy business owner, wife and devoted mom to three amazing, athletic and busy boys. Throw a few, sweet fur babies in there too! If she’s not at the salon, writing, or researching, you can find her rooting her boys on at the ball field or on a court!